| Welcome to bcfcforum.co.uk. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
- Pages:
- 1
- 2
| Alex Mcleish; Board may want him to leave ! | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: May 25 2011, 07:06 PM (884 Views) | |
| The Yeung Pretenders | May 25 2011, 08:35 PM Post #26 |
![]()
Geoff Horsfield
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Do we have any other scouts, or do we have no scout at the moment. |
![]() |
|
| poppa999 | May 25 2011, 08:35 PM Post #27 |
![]()
Mikael Forssell
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Two goals in 23 games isn't remarkable though. |
![]() |
|
| blue casual | May 25 2011, 08:40 PM Post #28 |
![]()
Frank Worthington
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I thought a scouts job was to recommend players, not enter contract negotations? I had the "London pull" down as the reason he chose Fulham over us, have you got a source?
It isn't, no but like Chucho, you'll find he did a lot more for the team than just score goals. |
![]() |
|
| Prawnman | May 25 2011, 08:44 PM Post #29 |
![]()
Paul Tait
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I'm sure I saw an interview on SPN and he said he wasn't an out and out striker and didn't like playing up front? Especially on his own. :unsure: |
![]() |
|
| robdogs | May 25 2011, 09:13 PM Post #30 |
![]()
Jose Dominguez
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I'm not sure it takes a scouting genius to find Pavlyuchenko, an international forward playing for a club in the top six. Babel had already failed in the Premier League. Miccoli was injured and didn't want to move anyway. Dembele has, as other posters indicate, not exactly flourished. He's not even in the starting XI at Fulham half the time. Now the grey areas: Some reports suggest that the board wanted Odemwingie and Montgomery told them to let him go. Zigic wasn't up to speed until December, so if Montgomery's remit was to find a striker that could make an instant contribution (for £6 million, you'd hope that it was!) then he failed there too. N'Zogbia was a farce from beginning to end, and if Montgomery's remit was to sign a player who would fit into the dressing room (which McLeish has spoken about so many times) then he failed again. Again, there are reports that the board asked Montgomery's opinion and he said N'Zogbia wasn't worth the cash. As nobody knows the truth for sure (as yet), then I'll reserve judgement. What I do know is that we haven't signed a decent young player for two seasons and the guy responsible for finding such players was instead selecting people who were often injured, had already failed at other Premier League clubs, or were demanding a wage that is unsustainable on our turnover. |
![]() |
|
| Bournville Blue | May 25 2011, 09:23 PM Post #31 |
|
Geoff Horsfield
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Well... it's pretty explicit in the title of the thread Parti. You have a choice... read it or don't read it! **thumbup |
![]() |
|
| Kyle-KRO | May 25 2011, 09:56 PM Post #32 |
![]()
Ian Handysides
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Only within the last month or so have i heard anything about any emphasis on trying to bring down the average age at the club. AMc has opted for experience more often than not, and you nor i can say with any certainty the amount and quality of young players and otherwise that Montgomery brought to AMc's attention over the past three years that we'll likely never know. Dembele has had a decent enough first season, and will only get better. He's more an attacking midfielder/winger or second striker than he is an out and out striker (he only scored 4 in his final season at AZ). He's got pace and a trick and can create for others, and that's why he was coveted. He also missed a month or more through injury in the first half of this season, but started most every match from the end of January to seasons end save Fulham's final two matches when he wasn't a part of the squad (injured perhaps). Pavlyuchenko may not have been an unknown commodity, but Montgomery was the one who actually thought enough to make a move for him. There's something to be said for that. Babel hasn't set the premier league alight, but he's an undoubted talent; and how often has a player gone to a major club too soon and not made it, only to move on to mid-lower level club, and change his fortunes? Miccoli was just my way of pointing out foreign players he's seen and suggested. He was definitely worth a go. I've heard nothing other than what you've written regarding Montgomery not wanting Odemwingie so i can't speak to that. Hart was a young player Blues loaned, Gardner was a young player Blues signed, Michel was a young player Blues signed (no matter if he's been used or not), Valles and Dann are young players Blues signed. Graham Hutchison, Fraser Kerr, Alpa Ozturk, Jack Butland, Jakub Hronec, etc. are all young players Blues have brought in. The thing about it is, I don't have to defend him. The recognition from one of the best clubs in the world should be enough... BLUES’ star spotter Paul Montgomery has admitted to being ‘flattered’ by a Chelsea job link. But the club’s chief scout said he had no intention of deserting Alex McLeish at St Andrew’s. “It’s flattering that a club like Chelsea seems to have noticed my work,” said the 57-year-old Geordie. “However, I came to do a job at Birmingham with a manager I respect and like as a person – and I would like to finish what I have only just started. “We are looking to build up a recruitment network here that will improve things for Birmingham. “A lot of hard work has already gone in, and there is plenty still to be done.” http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-s...97319-27846084/ Good enough for Chelsea, but not for some on the messageboards or Blues board. :break: |
![]() |
|
| Prawnman | May 25 2011, 10:40 PM Post #33 |
![]()
Paul Tait
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Maybe you are right, from the Mirror............. Alex McLeish's future at Birmingham remains in doubt, despite the club stating their intention to keep him. Owner Carson Yeung has publicly pledged to retain McLeish, 52, after City slipped into the Championship on the final day of the Premier League season. But the Hong Kong tycoon’s public statement backing McLeish was also critical of the Scot. And Yeung has since fired McLeish’s chief scout Paul Montgomery - as revealed by MirrorFootball on Tuesday. McLeish knows City cannot afford to sack him too after he penned a new £1.75million-a-year deal last October. He is now considering his options, after being ordered to lead Blues back up next term despite the sale of key players. City have already returned flop loan players Alexander Hleb, David Bentley, Obafemi Martins and Matt Derbyshire to their parent clubs and are also willing to listen to offers for Roger Johnson, Ben Foster, Cameron Jerome and Nikola Zigic. McLeish is not short of suitors himself after guiding Birmingham to ninth last term in their first season after promotion and lifting the Carling Cup this season. MirrorFootball understands that if another club were to make an approach for McLeish, Birmingham would not stand in his way if he wanted to go. But West Ham’s owners - who sold Birmingham to Yeung in a protracted takeover - have ruled out poaching McLeish for fearing of sparking fresh controversy at St Andrew's. Also from the Mirror.... Stoke want to rescue Cameron Jerome from the Championship, and Birmingham are already eyeing Marlon Harewood to replace him. Stoke want to rescue Cameron Jerome from the Championship, and Birmingham are already eyeing Marlon Harewood to replace him. Alex McLeish is already chasing Harewood, available on a Bosman after a season with Blackpool, to replace him. :blink: :blink: |
![]() |
|
| Woodbine | May 25 2011, 11:46 PM Post #34 |
![]()
Mikael Forssell
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
McLeish is chasing Harewood? Blimey, that statement alone should reduce ticket sales by at least 5k. Could it be that AM is trying to force the board to sack him?:rolleyes:
Have we been paying all these extra bods to do Montgomery's job for him? |
![]() |
|
| Prawnman | May 25 2011, 11:54 PM Post #35 |
![]()
Paul Tait
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Its one hell of a statement of intent of us getting out the league, jeeze Blackpool rejects! No offence to Blackbool. Imagine the fear of the opposition knowing they have to face 32 year old Harewood up front on his own. |
![]() |
|
| thehod | May 26 2011, 01:52 AM Post #36 |
|
Mikael Forssell
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Can I just point out that the Mirror's track record in the accuracy of football reportage is hardly electric. They make Sky Sports look like Reuters for christsake. |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · Blues Chat · Next Topic » |
- Pages:
- 1
- 2





![]](http://z4.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)









2:05 PM Jul 11